Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Home Grown and the Farmers Market


I bought yellow summer squash today at the farmers market. They were normal sized--not gigantic. But on my return from being back east and checking on the garden I saw two puny beginnings of yellow squash on what I thought was a zucchini plant. Now, I know that the farmers are putting things in earlier, have more knowledge about their crops and likely have slightly different conditions than I have in the garden. But still, it makes me wonder when will those two yellow squash be ready to pick? And when they are normal sized, not gigantic, will I be willing to pick them then? Or will I wait for the mammoth summer squash that are so often grown in backyard gardens? Only time will tell.

And even so, with those two puny squash weeks away from being picking-worthy, all I can think about is summer squash and onion gratin with fresh bread crumbs and Gruyere cheese. Yum. I'll share the very easy and very forgiving recipe when the squash finally make it. Can't get much more local than the backyard (or community garden in my case) and I hope that offsets the imported cheese!

(P.S. I swear there is a second squash, it is just so puny as to be hidden by a leaf!)

No comments:

Post a Comment