Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's a crack-up.

I was looking at recipe sites the other day trying to find some interesting snack foods or things to make with apples.  I ran across a recipe for crackers.  yes, crackers.  You can make them at home.  In fact I remember being a kid and my mother talking about making some crackers and that it was more trouble than it was worth.  Nevertheless, I was intrigued.  I like to cook and bake a lot more than my Mom does, so maybe I wouldn't find it more trouble than it was worth.

So today, I am making crackers.  It's also an excuse to use my new food processor.  (I never had one before and finally just decided to get myself one and a good one at that.)

My first batch was, I think, a little under-cooked.  They weren't very crisp.  I was worried about burning them.  And, some of them puffed up a bit.  Second batch I pricked with a fork so they wouldn't puff up and I baked them longer, to make sure they crisped up.  They are actually pretty good.  And I can control the ingredients--such as local flour and cheese, organic corn meal, milk, vinegar and butter, salt, pepper, paprika and a little baking soda.  Having that kind of control is something I like because it enables me to eat more ethically.

And I am glad I know I can make them.  But I doubt I'll make them all the time.  Maybe Mom was right after all.  They are a little bit more trouble than they are worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment