Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cocoa Loco

It's cold.  It's damp.  I have hundreds of papers to grade.  A chocolate pick-me-up is in order--a cup of hot cocoa.  And as I have been reading student papers about human trafficking and "slave chocolate" it only makes sense that I made my cocoa with fair trade cocoa powder.

I have no idea why people use hot cocoa mix.  Cocoa from scratch is just as easy.  Tastes much better and you can control the ingredients.  I know you can get hot cocoa mix that has fair trade cocoa powder, but this is easier and the ingredients are so much more versatile!

So, for those of you who might not know just how simple it is to make hot cocoa from scratch, here it is:  A splash of milk in a mug, add to that a splash of vanilla, a few grains of salt, a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and two tablespoons of sugar.  Stir while a cup of milk is heating.  When the milk is hot, stir it into the paste and enjoy!

I added some whipped cream and had a nice treat.  Now I have to get back to those papers!

3 comments:

  1. that looks so delicious! can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melting some organic fair trade dark chocolate into some milk and well sorry FLUFF and delish. Not completely ethical eating as the fluff is probably not ethical at all but you gotta have marshmellows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Allie--well, I suppose if you are in Swampscott, you can think of Fluff as local! Or you could make your own marshmallows, which I hear is fun, although I have never done it.

    @Ali--let's make sure to get together before break and have some!

    ReplyDelete