Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Recipe Review

I am throwing myself a birthday party.  I know, it is sort of sad, but I decided long ago that since I am a single adult, if I want to do something for my birthday, I had better plan it for myself.  In years past I have invited people out for drinks or brunch, but I always feel a little awkward asking people to pay for themselves at a party I invited them to.  So, this year I have invited some folks for a "drop in" brunch.  My apartment is not big enough for a sit down anything for a lot of people, so this is the plan I came up with.  And it requires me to do some do-ahead cooking if I am going to host people over the course of several hours.  And it is only a couple of weeks away.

So, now is the time to test out some recipes.  It's brunch, so there need to be some sweet things, some savory things.  I've invited some omnivores and some vegetarians (some stricter than others) so this is going to be an interesting endeavor.  This weekend I am going to try to make one sweet thing and one savory thing--not entirely new recipes for either, but modified or adjusted for this kind of event.

The plan is for this weekend to test making brioche in the bread maker for french toast -- my favorite brunch item.  And to make broiled polenta and mushroom sandwiches.  I make french toast every once in a while, but the brioche in the bread maker is a new thing.  Polenta is something I make frequently when serving vegetarians or vegans, but I rarely serve it firm or broiled.  I have found some recipes online to test out, but I am sure I will modify them as I usually do.

I will fill in around these two dishes with other brunch items if they work out well.  If not, I will have to go back to the drawing board coming up with a menu.  I think there are going to be a lot of "breakfast for dinner" nights over the next couple of weeks.

There will surely be a lot to report on both this weekend and over the next couple of weeks about my adventure in brunch.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment