Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Restaurant Favorites at Home

See those sliced almonds and crushed cornflakes?
When I was in Chicago, well, more precisely, Oak Park, for Spring Break this March I had breakfast out at a little hole in the wall type place with my hosts--my college roommate, her husband, and one of their daughters.  I had a fairly standard brunch out meal for myself--french toast.  But this french toast had a twist.  It was cornflake crusted french toast.  And I have been thinking about it ever since.  I know I have blogged about french toast before, but it really is one of my favorites and now that I bake it, much less of a hassle to make and always comes out perfectly.


Last night, thinking about eggs I should use and half a loaf of brioche, made this the morning to try this twist on french toast at home and I had an inspired twist on the twist.  I crunched up some sliced almonds with the cornflakes and used almond extract instead of vanilla in the custard.  It was pretty good.  Surely good enough to remember and try again.  I can only imagine making it for guests--it is sure to bring a smile to their faces.

But I am sad to report that the restaurant at which I had this meal is closed.  They have two other locations, but the one I ate at, sat in the window, slipped across the icy Chicago streets to get to, discussed parking meter etiquette with an elementary school student at, has closed.  They have two other locations, but there isn't much to explain why the Berwyn location closed.  Perhaps my college roommate knows.  Surely, it seems, her girls will miss the Berwyn Wishbone.  Maybe it is best that I did not discover this until after I tried making that french toast and declared my twist on their twist good--I am afraid if I knew this I would have tried and likely been disappointed at any recreation I might have attempted.

But as far as ethical eating goes, trying to recreate restaurant favorites is a good plan.  It means you can know more about your ingredients, try different twists yourself (like my almonds), and really wow your friends if they work out well.  For a long time dietitians and those concerned with healthy eating have recommended this approach to reduce fat and calories in restaurant favorites.  It can work just as well for ethical concerns.  And has the same limitations, too.  Somethings cannot be made low fat or more ethical.  Some things just have to go.

As far and french toast goes, it can be made more ethical and also like they do at Wishbone, even if no longer in Berwyn.  Thanks to Mel and family for taking me to brunch.  I'll have a fond memory of good food and friends, even with the restaurant gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment