Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Feed a cold, starve a fever?

I have a cold. And it has been a few days now. I always think I can plow through and not have my schedule affected by it. It is such wishful thinking.

Admittedly, I don't think much of cooking while I am sick, even if I need to eat. This is one time when I think that eating less than ethically would be easier--if I still ate processed food, I wouldn't have to cook when I was feeling under the weather. It would be so much easier.

But this is also when it really pays to be prepared. I had made soup two weekends in a row to bring for lunches to school. Two different kinds of lovely, home made, ethically sourced, soup. Some had been frozen for the future, but the future came earlier than expected. I needed to thaw that soup out for comfort food for the ill, i.e., me. And of course, we all know, soup is good to eat when one is sick, the steaming broth helps breathing.

If I had had a fever, it wouldn't have mattered, but since it is "food a cold, starve a fever" it is a good thing I was prepared. I will get better and get over this cold and not be reduced to eating something less than good in order to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment