Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Feeling Full



Last night's event at Trezzi Farm for Sustainable September went well. I even think my presentation on Community Food Security went well. I never know if my talks that are not classes or to other philosophers make good sense to anyone until after the fact.

The weather was cool, but it did not rain, thankfully. There were enough people there, again, thankfully. The volunteers showed up and worked hard. And the food and wine were amazing. I told David from Trezzi that the meatballs (made with grass fed beef from Lazy R Ranch) were as good as my grandmother's--and it was true. He talked about putting in the grapes for his wine by hand and the risks associated with growing grapes or anything really. A reminder of the deep courage of farmers--who knows what the weather will bring, what pests will come, if there will even be a harvest this year?
For me, someone who cares about ethical eating, the event was bound to be a success. For if even one person who had not thought about how eating and ethics were connected thought about it, I would count it a success. There were lots of people there last night who were not, by and large, yet part of the local food groups or other groups working around food. And some of them signed up to be kept in the loop. Therefore, SUCCESS!


On the ride home from Trezzi after the event, winding myself down the twisty roads of Green Bluff, looking down at the city below, I felt full. I physically felt full from the great meal, but also my mind felt full. The event was reinvigorating for me as I continue to think about how to teach students and others about the ethics of food. And then I hit Division. For those of you in the Spokane area you know the street I mean. Coming from the north where Green Bluff is using Division is the most efficient way to get to where I live, especially since we are in the midst of end of summer road construction. I had been lulled by the good food and thinking positively about ethics and food until I hit Division with its collection of strip malls, fast food and chain restaurants. Not exactly the bastion of ethical eating I had just left.




I guess it is a good think I was reinvigorated, there is still much work to be done. The fall harvest is just around the corner and I am ready to go now!

1 comment:

  1. It was indeed a wonderful event, Ellen -- and great to connect with you over food and conversation (and memories of our suburban Boston childhoods)!

    ReplyDelete