Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Ethical Dinner Party


Tonight I am having a few friends over for dinner. I know that Monday is an odd day for a dinner party, but with summer schedules for academics, this was the night that worked. The table is set and soon the guests will arrive and I am looking forward to a comfortable evening with good friends, easy conversation, some celebration, and some good food.


Friends are bringing the salad, the wine and desert. I am taking care of the appetizer and the meal (and a bottle of prosecco to celebrate a law school graduation!). Since the weather is supposed to be warm today, I opted for a dinner that will be best served at room temperature. Roasted asparagus (pictured in Saturday's post), wild rice salad (mostly ethical ingredients, including mint and chives from the farmers market and organic raisins, but I wonder about the sourcing of the pecans), and chicken marbella (adapted from the Silver Palate cookbooks). The chicken is the one thing that I have to get better at sourcing. I don't eat a lot of meat, but want to feel better about the meat I do eat. This chicken is from a bioregional grower that does not use hormones and uses only vegetarian feed for the chickens, but they are kept a little closer together than I would like.


For our appetizer, I've made some hummus, have cukes from the farmers market, kalamata olives, almonds and bought some organic baguette and feta at the Co-op this morning.


I think it will go well. These are foodies for the most part coming over and they know I care about the ethics of food, but I wonder if they will notice anything about the menu. Will something stand out as odd because it was chosen to be ethical? It doesn't seem so to me, but I am used to eating this way.


We shall see! More to come, post-party!

No comments:

Post a Comment