Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and other tales of the impending summer



Ah, summer time. Both the best, and it seems, the worst for eating ethically. On the one hand, there is a great bounty of local, sustainable food on the way with farmers markets and growing one's own. On the other hand, there are the many summer activities that crop up (no pun intended) in the American summer that put many perils in the way for ethical eating. Summer events usually mean food. And summer events like barbecues and other get-togethers mean choosing wisely what one eats and thinking about all the values we hold that contribute to decisions about eating ethically.

Last week I attended a college baseball game and was pleasantly surprised that there were some OK choices. I had a veggie burger and some potato chips (at least these were local if not so healthy).

And yesterday I went to a barbecue and a colleague and friend's house. This is sometimes a tricky proposition--the summer barbecue or picnic. Often these are potlucks and you can bring something to eat that is ethical, but one often has a little of this or that of unknown origin. I had an enjoyable meal with some friends and friends of theirs. But the food I ate was primarily an unknown quantity to me. Still, I do think there was an ethical value at play -- one I have mentioned before -- community. Breaking bread with others and asking for a blessing as we do is a valuable thing for all of us. Most of us have more choices than many when it comes to eating, so remembering that so many go without or have very little choice is an important realization.

Yesterday at the barbecue we did talk some about a local community garden that is run by an organization that helps women and children on the margins in our community. I had the privilege of meeting one of the people running this garden a few weeks ago. A community garden with a CSA reserved for those of limited means is a brilliant idea for a healthy community and healthy people in it. The more I learn about that community garden the more I think that it could be used as a good model for other areas. A visit seems required. But more on that at a later date.

Summer is a time when many of us entertain and are entertained in ways that are different than the rest of the year and bring with it some ethical eating challenges. I am sure to have more soon. For example, the weekend art festival in my neighborhood always features some food vendors and soon I will be visiting my parents who eat very differently than I do and attending a wedding of a college friend. All challenges that await.

No comments:

Post a Comment