Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Over leftovers, planting in the garden and the farmers market


Finally, I am finished with the leftovers. Hallelujah! I admit to some strange meals while working through them. But, such is cooking ethically with the leftovers still in the fridge.


So last night I cooked for myself again, not merely making some rice or pasta to fill out the leftovers. I made white pizza with local new spring onions cooked slow in olive oil with salt and pepper. At the very end I put in some arugula from the window sill and some pine nuts to toast. That was put on pizza dough made with local flour in my bread machine and then some shaved Parmesan cheese. Yummy.


But tonight I am at a loss for what to cook. I have some time to mull it over and I am planning on using some of the bounty from stopping at the farmers market this morning, but I am still unsure. I might just stir fry up some of the snap peas and asparagus I got and serve it over pasta.


I have been thinking more about the plants I got at the farmers market today that I put in the ground at the little garden I am working this summer. First priority was a cucumber plant to replace the one that died in the super cold temperatures a week ago. That was actually a taller order than I expected. A few of the farmers who were selling plants either had no cukes or were also lamenting that the colder weather had done them damage. But I eventually found a couple of the "muncher" variety -- thin skins, good for salads. I also picked up a black beauty eggplant, a brandywine tomato, a golden nugget cherry tomato and a roma tomato, plus a pattipan squash--got to love those little UFO shaped summer squash!


I spent about an hour at the garden today under overcast skies and cooler breezes putting in those plants, some onion, carrot and beet seed as well. I gave the garden a good soaking, checked to see a few beans and peas coming up and hoping the lettuce sprouts soon.


This is the part that makes eating ethically fun. It is work to grow things, sure. But the work is so very rewarding--I know that in a while there will be food to pick (there are strawberries that will be ripe, soon!) and I know that food is ethical.

No comments:

Post a Comment