Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Loving Leftovers Part II: The Potluck


My fridge is full. I have been to the farmers market, had a dinner party, eaten out and helped host a going away party for a friend and colleague that was a potluck. There are many leftovers from the potluck now in my fridge. Thankfully, many of the party-goers are like-minded about ethical eating and I could "cherry-pick" what leftovers I wanted to take. I only ended up with a single container of something I am unsure about. There were a few items that were not things I would eat ethically or otherwise and I did say no to. I don't want to waste food. At some point , though, when dividing up the leftovers after this kind of party, you just have to say "sure, I'll take it."


I've had some interesting meals made of leftovers since the potluck as I combine leftovers and other items. Last night for dinner I had some left over "grown-up" mac and cheese with a salad. Today I had a salad for lunch that had some orzo salad leftover from the potluck as well as some cheese and steak from a salad I had out the other night with a friend. Who knows what tonight's dinner will be?


There is more orzo salad, wild rice salad and some baked ziti I made for the potluck still left. Some of the ziti I brought home from the party I smartly froze when I got back knowing what was already in the fridge and knowing of the things left, that would freeze the best.


Loving leftovers is really important after a potluck. There are always leftovers. And usually it is not that the food wasn't good. People just always bring too much. Admittedly, I almost made even more of the baked ziti than I did. And talking with the person who hosted the party at her home, she was worried that there might not be enough food. I always have the same worry. We wondered aloud if it was our New England upbringing and the memories of our parents (our mothers in particular) and the parties they hosted that gave us this inheritance. But it might not be. It seems a worry of most party planners -- will things go well? Will people have a good time? Will there be enough food?


But there almost always is enough food. When was the last time you were at a party and there wasn't? What a luxury since most people come to a party for the company first and the food and drink only second or third.


I have made a pledge to myself. I will not go the store to buy anything but toilet paper or milk until I have made my way through the leftovers in the fridge. We'll see how long I can keep that resolve! Wasting food is a bad idea. It is itself unethical, because usually it is waste that can be avoided. So I am going to avoid as much waste as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment